Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Trailer Talk: The Hobbit 3 + more


I wanted to start a new regular feature where I talk about the hottest movie trailers currently circulating, and for alliterative purposes, it only made sense to make it on a Tuesday. Tuesday Trailer Talk - I like the sound of that. I probably (read: definitely) won't be getting to write something every week, but I'll see how I go!

Okay, so we've got some big movies to kick things off this week; naturally, with SDCC just past there have been some exciting trailers hitting the net over the last few days. Today, we're talking The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 and Mad Max: Fury Road.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (December 2014)



Peter Jackson has just unveiled the 'teaser' trailer for the concluding Hobbit chapter, and it is awesome. If that poster from Comic Con didn't whet your appetite for dragon destruction, feast your eyes on this beastie.

Thorin looks badass in his Lonely Mountain headgear, there's Bard facing off with him, Legolas and Tauriel continue to look beyond perfect and Bilbo (oh yeah, there's a hobbit in this film) strikes an awesome pose (see the title picture). Plus, how cool does that sequence in Lake Town look? Smaug getting all up in everyones grill and shit - tasty stuff to round out the series indeed.

Like I said earlier in the week, this trilogy has no shortage of naysayers - well, to them I say a resounding good riddance. The Hobbit might not scale the lofty heights of Jackson's first Middle Earth trilogy, but it's still a damn good series of films. And the final film looks set to end things on a bang.

Plus, a thousand bonus points for whichever marketing person came up with the idea of soundtracking this trailer to Pippin's melancholy lament from Return of the King. So chilling.


The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (November 2014)



Hmm, tough one this. I loved Catching Fire; my favourite book of the three, Catching Fire was a natural escalation complete with the political tension and the Empire Strikes Back twist ending that left readers and movie-goers reeling - it was a huge improvement on the sometimes shaky first film.

But Mockingjay? It's a dark book. Like, really dark. Seriously dark. And I know that saying the next instalment in a series is 'so much darker' is a massive cliche, but here it isn't undue hyperbole. Book readers will know what I'm talking about here.

So the movie is in a tough position; not only does it have to frame civil war in a way that is approachable to the young adult market, but it also has to keep that PG-13 rating. The story has reached open-warfare by this point, and coupling that with several characters suffering PTSD and a forced mid-point ending will make Mockingjay feel bleak to say the least.

This new trailer looks cool, complete with crop-circle style Mockingjay symbols. Nice touch. Phillip Seymour-Hoffman leads proceedings with the whole thing building towards revealing J-Law as Katniss at the end. The whole thing has a very sombre feeling to it. Unlike last years' film however, I'm holding back on getting super excited for this movie until the final product hits cinemas.


Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)



Okay, time to fess up to something; I've never seen a Mad Max movie. Shameful, right? Well, that looks set to change as the trailer for 2015's Fury Road both excited and kinda scared me. I mean, it looks absolutely mental! What on Earth is going on?!

We've got Tom Hardy looking weather-beaten and bronzed, we've got Victoria's Secret models, we've got someone who looks like that white guy in Prometheus - oh, and enough explosions to give Michael Bay a headache. All set in a sparse dystopian future filled with Death Race 2000 style cars. Consider my interest peaked.

If you've enjoyed reading my thoughts on the hottest trailers right now, let me know below and I'll be writing some further Trailer Talk's in the future! Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. I'm really excited for the final Hobbit film. And I agree that the series isn't nearly as good as Lord of the Rings, but it's still been another fun journey and I'm glad it exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto from me Zach :) Both series have their merits and I think the Hobbit is still an awesome piece of flim-making from Jackson. People are just overly critical because LOTR's is like the holy grail of the last decade.

      Delete
  2. That Mad Max trailer is epic. I haven't seen the original either, but now I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Hardy is a big selling point! Looking forward to Locke as well, looks really intense. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. K, I'll fess up, too. I haven't seen a Mad Max movie either. But, like you, that looks to be changing soon enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't possibly be less interested in The Hobbit (as much as the song choice is inspired here) but that Mad Max trailer is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, Hobbit buuuurn :P Fair enough, I know it isn't for everyone :) That Mad Max trailer game out of nowhere! So epic!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...