Saturday 24 December 2016

My 2016 Movie Soundtrack Playlist

"I want to write and feel the drama. Music is essentially an emotional language, so you want to feel something from the relationships and build music based on those feelings" - Howard Shore

Every December I take a look back at the year that was and cherry pick some musical highlights, whether they be soaring orchestral scores or licensed tracks that have been inserted into films to great effect.

This year has been a stellar year for film scores in my opinion; now more than ever, I find myself listening to film scores in my spare time instead of 'normal' music.

My personal favourites include Johann Johannsson's haunting ambiance for Arrival, Abel Korzeniowski's sweeping score in Nocturnal Animals and Dario Marianelli's fantastic oriental inspired strings in Kubo and the Two Strings. Flashing back to the beginning of the year, Howard Shore and Ennio Morricone both worked wonders in Spotlight and The Hateful Eight respectively. More recently, the original scores for La La Land and Moana have been swimming through my head - you'll discover a lot of tracks from each in the playlist below.

It's not just original music though - licensed tracks have been used to great effect this year. Deadpool, Star Trek Beyond, Hell or High Water and Steve Jobs are a rather eclectic selection of films that have employed everything from Beastie Boys to The Maccabees in their soundtracks.

I've even picked music from a few of TV shows - Game of Thrones, Stranger Things and Outlander - that have pricked up my ears this year.

I've compiled all my picks in this handy little Spotify playlist for you to zip through and enjoy. Let me know in the comments what you favourite 2016 film soundtracks are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...